Castles, near to Devon Cliffs all are within a short driving distance. Some great castles are listed below.
An intact coastal fort guarding the narrow entrance to the Dart Estuary and the strategic port of Dartmouth, started in 1388 by John Hawley, the enterprising Mayor of Dartmouth. Almost a century later the imposing Gun-tower was added, making it the first English coastal fortress specifically built to mount the heavy artillery required to sink shipping. The castle battery remained in military use throughout World War I & II.
Well preserved remains of motte and bailey circular stone keep. Built after the Norman Conquest of England, this early motte and bailey type fortification included an earthen mound topped by a wooden palisade.
A 15th century Pomeroy family castle surrounds the ruined shell of a great Elizabethan mansion. Intended to become the most spectacular house in Devon, It is reputed to be one of the most haunted castles in Britain.
Intact medieval castle. Set on the banks of the River Exe, Badly damaged during the Civil War, the castle was altered extensively during the 18th and 19th centuries, transforming it into a more comfortable family residence.
The remains of 13th century square tower keep. Originally built about 1195 taking the form of a freestanding tower at least two storeys high. The castle was totally rebuilt in the 13th century, this involved digging a ditch around the tower and piling up the soil to the level of the ground floor.
Remains of the largest medieval castle in Devon. Built shortly after the Norman conquest of England, this castle is built in the early motte and bailey fashion. This castle was used as a fortification until the late 13th century, when its owners, the de Courtenays, became the Earls of Devon and redeveloped the castle as a luxurious hunting lodge. During Henry VII reign, the castle was abandoned and gradually fell into ruin.
The ruins of an early 13th century castle. Set on a large natural mound controlling the strategic crossing of the River Tamar. During the 13th century, Richard Earl of Cornwall, younger brother of Henry III began to rebuild the castle in stone. The castle was used for many years as an assizes and gaol